Welcome!

Aaron is walking around America. This blog exists to help him connect with people while he is away and for anyone who is interested in following him on the path. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 1

I had a great first day:
  • The weather was all over the place. It hailed three times. The sun came out to say hello frequently. It northwest hazy drizzled a little bit. Looks like more of the same for tomorrow.
  • I made it to the top of Astoria Column. It is a cool structure, my favorite part was the sepia toned nineteen century artwork on the outside.
  • I took a pictures of the Goonies house
  • I bivouacked in a convenient baseball dugout waiting for the rain to fade away.
  • I saw two bald eagles, or, one bald eagle twice and neither time were they being chased by crows.
  • I gave a fistful of change and a magic rock to a street beggar.
  • I ate a lunch of peanut butter and Barbies favorite bread and an apple in the middle of the forest.

Things I learned: I learned how to keep the rain out by securing a hefty bag to my backpack well enough so it did not fly off for a whole day. Even in wicked devil winds.

I learned that no matter how fuggin' death metal face it makes you look, it is probably a bad idea to go into a store with soaking wet black trash bags strapped to your back.

I learned that I like hail better than rain for its handy rubbery bouncy, non glue-like tendencies.

I learned that with a huge backpack on, going down hill is more problematic than going uphill.

I learned the path I am going to take tomorrow from the path I tried to take today.

Injury Report: I got a side ache today and I could not stop laughing. I could not remember when the last time was I had a real life side ache. It was the funniest thing to me. Remember that feeling when the P.E. instructor asked you to run around the track four times at the middle school for the first time? I do.

I also have a scrape on my index finger. I have no idea how it got there.

I was pretty darn tired when I got to the hotel room for the night. I threw my stuff down on the floor and immediately ran a bath. Is there any ailment that sliding into a bath and laying for an hour can't cure? No, no I don't think that there is. Women have known this for years. Baths are a marvel. The girlyer the foofier the better. Sea salts? Bubles? Lotions? Scented candles? A copy of O Magazine nearby? A glass of Belatore in a flute? A loved one to rub the aches and pains out of your spirit and flesh... Hell yeah!

Of course I did not have any of those things but the hot water... And I felt instantly better just sitting and dunking my ears under the surface, closing my eyes and listening to myself breathe in and out.

For the last two and a half years I lived in a house without a bathtub. I am not to going to make that mistake again I can tell you...

If I could ask one thing for the people who read these words, or everyone in the world for that matter. It would be that when you get home today from work or play or if you did not leave the house, toss your belongings on the floor, rip your clothes of as soon as possible and start running a bath immediately.


I guarantee it will make you feel better...






7 comments:

  1. "I learned that no matter how fuggin' death metal face it makes you look, it is probably a bad idea to go into a store with soaking wet black trash bags strapped to your back. "

    Epic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI you......stay safe, walk proud, stay safe, sleep in motels, stay safe, be kind to your feet, stay safe - come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seen any good libraries yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason I thought you were gonna camp out every night. Glad to see I was wrong. :) FYI - I have family in Scappoose (on Hwy 30), if you go through there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait a minute, that bath with the girly and foofery sounds familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What girly? Was the foofoo stuff smelling purtty? Did you get it in Oregon? Where are you? Are you being safe? How far have you gone? How is the weather? Take any pictures yet? Did you post them? Too many questions? Feet hurt?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow everybody thanks for all the sweet comments.

    Midge: I am staying safe, walking proud, my hotel to camping ratio is embarrassingly high, staying safe, resting my feets as I type this, staying safe, posting pictures and words and videos. Yee-Haw!

    Thanks for following! :)

    Leslie: I went into my first library yesterday. Clatskanie Public Library. It was a sweet little place. Storytimes had just let out so there were lots of kids everywhere. Fun stuff.

    Carrie: Great to hear about your family. If I get close to that town I will get in touch with you to see if I can find a place to land. Thank you so much for the offer.

    B: Yes, all I learned about the bathtub arts I gained from you. Just another sample of your genius. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete